Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Ribs

We hadn't had any folks in for a meal in quite a while so, while at Sam's Club in Mobile on Thursday, we saw some good looking racks of ribs. We bought two packs of two racks each.

Friday morning, JoAnne cut each rack in two and put some type "rub" on them to season them.
I put three chips of mesquite about the size of my little finger that I'd been soaking in water, near the heating element before starting to cook. I put the ribs on the smoker about 10:00. I checked on them a couple of times to make sure that they were cooking okay, and checked the temperature to be sure they were nearing the magic temperature of 170 to 175 degrees.

About 5:45, the temp was just right, so I took them up and brought them inside. Then we cut each riblet apart and stacked them on a large platter. Sib and Morris and Harold and Margaret Hartley came in around 6:00. The ribs were still warm and we were ready to eat. I think everyone, especially me, had "ample suffiency" of ribs, sauteed squash and onions, asparagus, creamed red potatoes, rolls and some really good rib sauce to slather on the ribs. I didn't put sauce on them while cooking as some folk like them without it.

I think I had the largest pile of bones left on my plate at the end of the meal! I don't think anyone left without going through a pretty large pile of good, gnawed bones!

All this wonderful meal was capped off with a plate of cheesecake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sib and Morris left after supper, and the Hartleys and us played one game of Continental Rummy and one of Ups.

What a pleasant evening!

No comments: